The Pros and Cons of Teeth Whitening
"As a serial lover of all things bad for me, I found that my teeth were never looking as they should. I am very fortunate to be working in the right place for this but before I found that I was always slightly embarrassed and didn’t like getting to close to people or having my photo taken as my teeth always seemed to look slightly discoloured to others. With the available products and resources around me I took the plunge and had my teeth whitened. I was a bit anxious at first but once explained to me that I didn't have to walk around with a super white smile and I could have my teeth as white as I wanted with our home kit I was pleasantly surprised with the results".
The Pros of Teeth Whitening
- For some of us, our self-esteem is the reason why we want our teeth whiter. Always looking at those Hollywood smiles but having slightly off-white teeth is okay for most but it is different for those unfortunate to have a distinctive discolouration which can be caused by a number of different factors and may even be a sign of dental health. We have found that confidence when faced with others and just general day to day life has changed dramatically - no more hiding behind your hand when talking or smiling and just a more confident approach to the day to day things of life.
- Since you are already interested in discovering the affect teeth whitening can have on your day to day life picking the best option is vital. A customised home kit is one of the most popular as you apply the gel as often or as little as suitable for your needs, so if you have a special occasion and you want your smile to look its best you can pop in your trays and a few hours later have that perfect smile. We can also use lasers to assist in whitening your teeth but we found that most of our patients are happy with the home kit as with the laser if you don't have treatment in a controlled knowledgeable environment it can lead to over sensitivity. You should always go to a dentist for this treatment and make sure they have had the correct level of training. CHEAPEST is not always the best so please be ware when making your decision.
- Dentist-assisted whitening is not dangerous except in the hands of inexperienced practitioners. The most common danger in whitening is the incorrect use and overuse or misuse of common whitening products which are widely available.
The Cons of Teeth Whitening
- Misuse of whitening products can damage different parts of your oral cavity, using too many abrasive products may thin the enamel of the teeth which will make them more prone to damage and decay. Also it has been proven if not used correctly it can affect the health of tissue of the gums and cheeks - this is why we always recommend that you do this type of treatment via a dentist so that you are correctly using and have the best information to get the best results in the safest way.
- The least alarming disadvantage of teeth whitening is irregular whitening or over using which can lead to sensitivity, always make sure you have been advised and understand what you need to do to get the best results in the least harmful way and consult your dentist if you do find any problems whilst using the system.
You should also be made aware that if you have fillings, crowns or veneers, they will not become white with the use of whitening products.
If by now you have decided to go ahead with whitening your teeth please take the time and decide which system and where you will go to have the treatment. As a lot of patients have been told it is fine to go ahead with teeth whitening, however it is not suitable for all of us.
If our friendly team can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact us.
Back to Teeth WhiteningFind out more about teeth whitening and arrange a FREE non clinical consultation