The Pros And Cons Of Dental Implants
An unbiased look at this popular tooth replacement method.
Having tooth implants placed at Blue Sky Dental in Chelmsford is an excellent long term solution to replace teeth.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, given the type of procedure and the cost, it can be a difficult decision for some of our patients, whether to go ahead with this procedure or look for an alternative solution.
In today’s blog, we take an unbiased look at some of the benefits and the possible drawbacks of a dental implant procedure to help you reach an informed decision:
In our honest opinion, dental implants provide the patient with the best method currently available for replacing a missing tooth. We believe that dental implants offer:
- Strength and security – Due to the firmly embedded replacement tooth root, patients can eat any foods that they wish without concern for the stability of their new tooth
- Ease of use – Implants do need to be kept clean, but patients only need to treat them the same as a natural tooth with brushing, flossing and regular dental checks
- Natural appearance – The crown used for the final part of an implant placement will be produced to match the natural colour and shape of your natural teeth
- Longevity – Once the procedure is complete, and given good care, dental implants should last for twenty years or more, meaning that patient can almost forget that they have them
These points hopefully show that implants certainly offer an excellent tooth replacement method, so why do some people choose other options instead?
We firmly believe that most of the ‘cons’ that apply to dental implants can be overcome with a little help, and that any immediate inconvenience is offset by the long term benefits of having them. The following are some of the most common reasons that people opt for alternatives such as dentures:
- Invasive procedure – It is true that implant placement needs invasive treatment and can last a little longer than some other procedures. This can deter nervous dental patients who may opt for non invasive dentures instead. Our dental team are highly skilled, experienced and caring and will make this procedure as stress free as possible.
- Cost – There is no getting away from the fact that dental implants are not a cheap option. They are, however, one that offers excellent long term benefits and good value for money, and we offer a range of dental payment plans to enable patients to have this increasingly popular procedure. Indeed, looking at costs in the mid/long term, implants have been show to be more cost-effective than some of the other methods.
- Smokers – A smoker who wishes to have dental implants will be told that they need to stop smoking for a period of time either side of the procedure to prevent infections. Indeed, even after the initial bonding period, smoking is one of the major risks to dental implants. It is worth saying though, that it is also one of the major risks to your natural teeth so stopping smoking is a very positive thing to do more generally.
Whilst we highly recommend dental implants to our Chelmsford patients, we are aware that they may not be for everybody and we will certainly not pressure any patient into having them. The team at Blue Sky Dental wants every patient to have the most suitable outcome and will always offer an unbiased and honest opinion so that patients can make an informed choice.
To contact Blue Sky Dental of Chelmsford, please call us on 01245 211070.